ORPP 3 Day
Comprehensive Assessment and Treatment of Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders (OMDs)
Day 1 – OMD Theory and ORPP Assessment Protocol
- History of Orofacial Myology
- True/False, Case studies, Background information, Definition of Orofacial myofunctional disorders (OMDs)
- Facts and Fallacies of OMDs, Etiology & Prevalence, Dental Consequences & Terminology
- Link between OMDs and Articulation delays, Role of SLPs and RDHs with OMDs
- Assessment of OMDs using the ORPP assessment form
- Assessment of OMDs using the ORPP assessment form cont’d
- Case studies, T/F review
- who to treat and when
- Goals of Treatment
The keys to success behind ORPP:
- Motivation Musts
- Principles of Motor Learning
- Principles of Neuroplasticity
- Achieving Mastery: cueing, feedback
The ORPP treatment Program- detailed step by step instruction on the ORPP treatment program including:
- Phases of treatment
- Hierarchically organized treatment exercises
- How to appropriately determine mastery at each stage of treatment
- Cueing techniques
***Case studies are used as a tool to guide participants from assessment through an entire treatment program
- The ORPP treatment program (continued)
- Communicating with referral sources
Some Common Clinical Questions Answered in this 3-Day Training Include:
- Do retained speech errors preclude the correction of correct rest posture and swallowing?
- Can an SLA do ORPP treatment?
- Can ORPP treatment be done as a summer intensive?
- Why can my client do well with speech drills at the word and sentence level for /s/ but then break down in conversation?
- Do all kids with tongue-tie need to be “clipped”?
- Where do I refer for a lingual frenectomy?/ How soon do you work on lingual exercises post frenectomy?
- Do I teach every client a tongue tip up rest posture?
- Can I treat a client who is in orthodontic treatment (i.e., that has a palatal expander)?
- What if the child’s deep bite impinges on the spot?